Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/4 cup water 2 cups spelt flower
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pink salt
- cinnamon, to taste, optional
- handful vegan chocolate or carob chips
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
1. Very important-make sure all ingredients are at room temperature. It will work if they're not at room temp but it works much better if they are. Also while your oven is pre-heating put the cookie sheets you are going to use on top of the oven so they get preheated as well. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, pink salt, and cinnamon. Stir in chips. Make a well in the center and set aside. In a medium size bowl, add together sugar and oil; mix well.
3. Add the vanilla and then add the water; mix well. Add the wet to the well in the dry. Mix it well but be careful not to overwork it. Add more chips if you need to.
4. Spoon onto ungreased cookie sheets. Put them in the oven. Bake for 5 minutes and then flip and rotate the sheets (top to bottom and 180 degree rotation). Bake another 4 minutes and check them. The cookies are done when they seem a little bit softer then you want them to be. They will harden up some as they cool. I usually go in 2 minute increments from here until they get to where I like them.
5. Take them out when they are done and move them to wire cooling racks. If they split or come apart when you try to remove them let them sit on the pan for 2 minutes before transferring them to the racks.
Serves: almost 2 dozen; Preparation Time: 10 minutes; Cooking Time: 10 to 12 minutes
If you want to try something different add a handful of Carob shreds to your cookies for an even more exotic "chocolate" taste! You can buy most if not all the ingredients needed for this recipe here at nujima.com!